About the Course: Your Journey to Learning Safari Photography
Embarking on a safari is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and my Safari Photography Private Lessons are designed to ensure you capture those precious moments with skill and artistry. This course is your key to understanding and mastering the core principles of photography, crucial for the dynamic conditions you’ll encounter on a safari.
I will guide you through effective techniques for shooting in various light conditions, capturing moving subjects, and composing impactful wildlife images. Moreover, I’ll help you become adept with your camera equipment, ensuring you can confidently operate it to seize those fleeting moments of wildlife wonder.
My aim is not just to equip you with the technical skills, but also to instill the confidence you need to create beautiful images that truly encapsulate the essence of your safari experience. Join me, and transform your safari adventure into a stunning visual narrative that lasts a lifetime.
Safari Photography Course Details
This course embraces the fact that every photographer’s journey is unique. Whether you need a customized lesson plan that addresses specific weaknesses or gaps in understanding, or you’d prefer a tried-and-tested approach that has benefited past students, I’ve got you covered. Here’s a snapshot of what the course can include:
- Camera Operation: I’ll help you understand your camera and its operating principles. We’ll delve into key settings and features of your camera that are essential for successful safari photography.
- Photographic Technique: Safari and wildlife photography pose unique challenges. I’ll share techniques for shooting in harsh light, capturing sharp images of moving animals, creating dramatic exposures, and maximizing the potential of golden hours.
- Composition: Discover how to frame striking wildlife images. We’ll discuss rule-free techniques to overcome the psychological barriers to ideal photographic compositions.
- Lens, Filter, and Gear Guidance: Get insights on the best lenses for safari and wildlife photography. We’ll discuss the practical and artistic importance of lens filters, tripods, and camera protection.
- Practical Experience at Toronto Zoo: Practice makes perfect. Apply the photographic techniques you’ve learned on our animal pals at the Toronto Zoo.
- Ethical Wildlife Photography: We’ll discuss the importance of respect for wildlife and their habitats to ensure your photography doesn’t negatively impact the animals or their environment.
Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, this private workshop aims to enhance your technical abilities and give you the confidence to capture the majestic moments a safari offers. Let’s create your personalized experience to master safari photography.
Customization Options: Tailored for Your Safari Adventure
I’m more than happy to provide custom quotes for additional services. These could include:
- extra lesson days at the zoo
- additional participants
- and professional photo organization and editing services for those wanting an expert touch on their safari photographs.
For these or any other customization inquiries, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Private lesson FAQ
Our safari and wildlife photography lessons are priced for a single participant. Additional participants may be added upon request at the rate of $232 (plus tax) per person per day.
The safari and wildlife photography lessons are held at the Toronto Zoo, which is located at 2000 Meadowvale Rd, Toronto, ON M1B 5K7. We meet near the front gate at the start of our lesson. Your admission to the zoo is included with your lesson fee.
The post-trip photo editing lesson can be held in your home or anywhere else. The price includes our travel within the City of Toronto borders. For locations outside the City of Toronto but within the GTA, a nominal service fee of $50 (plus tax) will be paid. Alternatively, this editing lesson can take place remotely, using Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
- Our private photography lessons are suitable for all cameras capable of manual mode.
- All brands of digital cameras are accepted for this workshop.
- Contact us if you’re unsure about your camera’s suitability for a private workshop.
What to bring:
- Camera, lens(es), and accessories you want to learn about
- Battery (fully charged)1 A full day of photography is trying for any camera. Please bring your battery charger and a second battery to ensure your camera works through the entire lesson.
- Memory card (emptied)
- Camera manual
What to wear
Exposure Therapy’s safari and wildlife photography lessons take place outdoors at the Toronto Zoo. Monitor the weather forecast and ensure you dress appropriately for the conditions—especially on cold days.2 Please note that the lithium batteries powering your camera may exhibit diminished power output in cold conditions. When subzero air temperatures are forecast for the day of your workshop, we recommend bringing two or more camera batteries.
Location of Safari and wildlife private photography lessons
The safari and wildlife photography lessons are held at the Toronto Zoo (2000 Meadowvale Rd, Toronto, ON M1B 5K7). The location for post-trip Lightroom courses can be your home, office, or favourite scenic spot or café. The lesson fees include our travel within the City of Toronto (except the islands). There’s a nominal extra fee of $50 plus tax for in-home lessons located outside the City of Toronto and within the Greater Toronto Area (defined as the City of Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, and Pickering).
The price of the safari and wildlife photography lesson includes your admission fee to the Toronto Zoo.
Remote video lessons
We request you schedule your post-trip editing course for a date no later than 12 weeks after returning from your adventure.
If you live outside our included travel area for in-home lessons, you may choose to take your post-trip Lightroom course via remote video (Zoom or Microsoft Teams).
Cancellation and refunds
Cancellation of in-person private lessons
Our full cancellation and refund policy is found in the Terms of Sale. The following summary is for your convenience:
- You can request a full refund up to 7 days after payment if no date for the lesson has been set.
- You can also reschedule up to 24 hours before the lesson. However, if a new time can’t be agreed upon and it’s more than 7 days after payment, no refund is given.