1‑on‑1 private photography lessons customized for you.
Exposure Therapy’s private photography lessons are precisely tailored to teach you what you want, wherever you want, even from the comfort of your own home via remote video. Select a topic from any of our regular workshops, or suggest your own.
About our private photography lessons
Are you tired of sifting through conflicting advice from online sources while trying to learn photography? Books can be a great resource, but they can’t offer the personalized guidance and support that you might need. At Exposure Therapy, we offer private, one-on-one photography courses that are customized to your unique learning style and needs.
Whether you want to focus on specific techniques or just want to get some hands-on practice, your experienced instructor will be there to support you every step of the way. We can even customize a course just for you, or you can choose from one of our existing group photography lesson plans.
Ready to take your photography skills to the next level? Sign up for a private course with Exposure Therapy and get the personalized attention and support you need to succeed.
How it works
I strive to make booking a private photography lesson with Exposure Therapy smooth and hassle-free. Here’s how it works:
- Select the duration of your personal lesson to continue to the secure Square payment page.
- Propose 1–3 dates for the lesson (in order of preference), include your desired location in Toronto or the GTA and briefly explain what you’d like to learn.
- Enter your payment information and place the order.
- I’ll reply within the business day to confirm my availability and ask follow-up questions, as needed.
- After confirming the topic, appointment, and location, we’re set and ready to go.
I’ll refund 100% of your payment if my schedule can’t accommodate your preferred dates.
Private photography course offerings
Take control of your learning experience with personalized photography lessons from Exposure Therapy. With various topics to choose from, you can tailor your lesson to your specific interests and goals. Whether you want to follow one of our structured workshops (101–203) or focus on a custom topic, I’ve got you covered.
Some ideas for private lessons include:
- Getting to know your camera: menus, buttons, and lenses
- Capturing stunning travel photos
- Mastering Adobe Lightroom for organization and image processing
- Reading and interpreting light in a scene
- Long exposure techniques and practice
- Handling dynamic and high-contrast lighting
- On-camera and off-camera flash techniques
- Using external light meters for digital or film photography
- Getting expert advice on photo equipment purchases
- Shadowing a professional photographer in action
- Private camera lessons for your new or vintage film camera.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Just let me know, and I’ll do my best to accommodate your needs. When teaching private photography lessons, I aim to give you a high-quality learning experience – sign up for personalized photography lessons today.
Private lesson FAQ
Private photography lessons are suitable for up to 2 participants, so feel free to bring a friend, spouse, or partner. Private lessons are a great way to ensure you receive your instructor’s full and uncompromising attention.
The location of private photography lessons is entirely up to you, so feel free to get creative or choose your favourite part of town. The 5‑hour lesson includes your instructor’s travel to anywhere in the GTA; the 3- and 4‑hour lessons include your instructor’s travel to anywhere within the City of Toronto.
Private photo courses are not restricted to outdoor or public locations. For example, I can offer a private lesson in your home if you’re learning to use Adobe Lightroom Classic. If you enjoy animal and wildlife photography, I’d happily meet you at Riverdale Farm, the Metro Toronto Zoo, or Tommy Thompson Park.
Absolutely! Some students prefer to learn the ins and outs of photography in the privacy of their homes. Are you a budding blogger or vlogger? If your home is your studio, I’d love to help you learn how to use your photography equipment in an environment that matters.
I can even help you set up an effective post-processing, data storage, and backup solution.
- My private photography lessons are suitable for all cameras capable of manual mode.
- All brands of digital cameras are accepted for this workshop.
- Contact me if you’re unsure about your camera’s suitability for a private workshop.
What to bring:
- Camera, lens(es), and accessories you want to learn about
- Battery (fully charged)1If you’re participating in more than one workshop, please bring your battery charger or a second battery to ensure you can operate your camera throughout the day.
- Memory card (emptied)
- Camera manual
What to wear
Much like the standard workshops, my private photography lessons feature outdoor exercises where you learn to apply theoretical concepts into practice. Monitor the weather forecast and ensure you dress appropriately, especially on cold days.2 Please note that the lithium batteries powering your camera may exhibit diminished power output in cold conditions. When subzero air temperatures are forecast for the day of your workshop, we recommend bringing two or more camera batteries.
Location of private photography lessons
Private photography lessons are held at a location of your choice, such as your home, office, favourite scenic spot, or café. The 3- and 4‑hour lesson fees include my travel within the City of Toronto (except the islands). The 5‑hour lesson fee includes my travel within the Greater Toronto Area (City of Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, and Pickering).
The price of our private photography lessons does not include your instructor’s admission fee to locations or venues that have an entry charge. When your preferred lesson location has paid admission, you must purchase your instructor’s entrance ticket.
Hours are consecutive
Unless otherwise agreed to beforehand, the number of hours selected for your private photography lessons is consecutive.
Remote video lessons
You may take your private lesson in person or via remote video, but you cannot combine both into one purchase.
Cancellation and refunds
Cancellation of in-person private lessons
Our full cancellation and refund policy is found in the Terms of Sale. The following summary is for your convenience:
- You can request a full refund up to 7 days after payment if no date for the lesson has been set.
- You can also reschedule up to 24 hours before the lesson. However, if a new time can’t be agreed upon and it’s more than 7 days after payment, no refund is given.