About our private photography lessons
Every person learns photography in a unique way. Those that prefer to learn online can face contradicting advice from dubious sources. Although reliable resources exist, you have to find them. Books offer a wealth of accurate information but lack hands-on guidance and can’t address individual concerns or points of confusion as they arise.
Exposure Therapy’s private photography lessons are in-person, one-on-one lessons customized to your learning needs. You’ll have your instructor’s complete attention and be able to ask questions as they arise and receive swift responses.
How it works
There are two ways to book a private photography lesson with Exposure Therapy. In the first, you check our published availability (above) and select and register for the 3-hour timeslot that aligns with your schedule. We ask several questions regarding your topic of interest, your equipment, and your preferred location (Toronto only).
Do you prefer a private lesson with a different schedule and duration? Please use the contact form below to get in touch:
- Explain what topic you want to learn, your availability, and your preferred meeting location.
- We’ll reply within 24 hours to confirm our availability and ask follow-up questions, as needed.
- After confirming the topic, appointment, and location, we’ll send you an online payment link.
- Successful payment confirms your reservation!
Our private photography lessons are flexible, and you can select from a variety of topics. For example, if you prefer a structured experience, choose a private lesson based on one of our existing workshops (101–203). Beyond that, a private photography lesson can feature any topic you want. Some ideas include:
- How to operate your camera (menus, mode dials, buttons, changing lenses, etc.)
- Adobe Lightroom: photo organization and image processing
- Reading a scene and interpreting light
- Long exposure techniques and practice
- Exposure techniques for dynamic and high-contrast scenes
- On-camera flash photography techniques and operation
- Off-camera flash photography (studio strobes, modifiers, etc.)
- External light meters for digital or film photography
- Equipment consultations
- Photo critiques and portfolio reviews
We’re more than happy to consider different suggestions. However, since our goal is to provide you with a quality learning experience, we only teach topics with which we’re entirely familiar.
Private Lesson Contact Form
Inquire about private photography lessons
- Our private photography lessons are suitable for all cameras capable of manual mode.
- All brands of digital cameras are accepted for this workshop.
- Contact us if you’re unsure about your camera’s suitability for a private workshop.
What to bring:
- Camera, lens(es), and accessories you want to learn about
- Battery (fully charged)1If you’re participating in more than one workshop, please bring either your battery charger or a second battery to ensure you can operate your camera throughout the day.
- Memory card (emptied)
- Camera manual
What to wear
Much like our standard workshops, our private photography lessons feature outdoor exercises where you learn to apply the theoretical concepts into practice. Monitor the weather forecast and ensure you dress appropriately for the conditions—especially on cold days.2 Please note that the lithium batteries powering your camera may exhibit diminished power output in cold conditions. When subzero air temperatures are forecast for the day of your workshop, we recommend bringing two or more camera batteries.
Location of private photography lessons
Private photography lessons are held at a location of your choice. This can be your home, office, or favourite scenic spot or café. The lesson fee includes our travel within the City of Toronto (except the islands).
There’s an additional travel fee of $49 for those that prefer to meet in the Greater Toronto Area, such as Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, and Pickering.
Cancellation and refunds
Our full cancellation and refund policy is found in the Terms of Sale. The following summary is for your convenience:
- We accept cancellations for a full refund up to four (4) weeks in advance of your initially-scheduled course.
- We accept schedule modifications up to seven (7) days in advance of your initially-scheduled course.