1‑on‑1 private photography lessons customized for you.
Exposure Therapy’s private photography lessons are precisely tailored to teach you what you want, wherever you want. Select a topic from any of our regular workshops, or suggest your own.
About our private photography lessons
Every person learns photography in a unique way. Those that prefer to learn online can face contradicting advice from dubious sources. Although reliable resources exist, you have to find them. Books offer a wealth of accurate information but lack hands-on guidance and can’t address individual concerns or points of confusion as they arise.
Exposure Therapy’s private photography courses are in-person, one-on-one classes customized to your learning needs. You’ll have your photo teacher’s complete attention and be able to ask questions as they arise and receive swift responses. We can customize your private photography class to your specific needs, or it can follow one of our existing photography lessons plans.
Some students prefer an experiential photo ‘safari’ where they learn new techniques or hone existing ones practicing in the wilds of the urban jungle. It’s your personal course and learning experience, and you call the shots.
How it works
We’ve worked hard to make booking a private photography lesson with Exposure Therapy smooth and hassle-free. Here’s how it works:
- Select the duration of your personal lesson.
- Explain what you’d like to learn, propose three appointment times (in order of preference), and include your desired location in Toronto or the GTA.
- Enter your payment information and place the order.
- We’ll reply within the business day to confirm our availability and ask follow-up questions, as needed.
- After confirming the topic, appointment, and location, we’re set and ready to go.
We’ll issue a refund for 100% of your payment if our schedules don’t align.
Our personal photography lessons are flexible, and you can select from a variety of topics. For example, if you prefer a structured experience, choose a personal lesson based on one of our existing workshops (101–203). Beyond that, a personal photography lesson can feature any topic you want. Some ideas include:
- How to operate your camera (menus, mode dials, buttons, changing lenses, etc.)
- Improve your travel photography
- Adobe Lightroom: photo organization and image processing
- Reading a scene and interpreting light
- Long exposure class: techniques and practice
- Exposure techniques for dynamic and high-contrast scenes
- On-camera flash photography classes: techniques and operation
- Off-camera flash photography classes: (studio strobes, modifiers, etc.)
- External light meters for digital or film photography
- Equipment consultations
We’re more than happy to consider different suggestions. However, since our goal is to provide you with a quality learning experience, we only teach topics with which we’re entirely familiar.
- Our private photography lessons are suitable for all cameras capable of manual mode.
- All brands of digital cameras are accepted for this workshop.
- Contact us if you’re unsure about your camera’s suitability for a private workshop.
What to bring:
- Camera, lens(es), and accessories you want to learn about
- Battery (fully charged)1If you’re participating in more than one workshop, please bring either your battery charger or a second battery to ensure you can operate your camera throughout the day.
- Memory card (emptied)
- Camera manual
What to wear
Much like our standard workshops, our private photography lessons feature outdoor exercises where you learn to apply the theoretical concepts into practice. Monitor the weather forecast and ensure you dress appropriately for the conditions—especially on cold days.2 Please note that the lithium batteries powering your camera may exhibit diminished power output in cold conditions. When subzero air temperatures are forecast for the day of your workshop, we recommend bringing two or more camera batteries.
Location of private photography lessons
Private photography lessons are held at a location of your choice. This can be your home, office, or favourite scenic spot or café. The 2- and 3‑hour lesson fees include our travel within the City of Toronto (except the islands). The 4‑hour lesson fee includes our travel within the Greater Toronto Area (defined as the City of Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, and Pickering).
Cancellation and refunds
Our full cancellation and refund policy is found in the Terms of Sale. The following summary is for your convenience:
- We accept cancellations for a full refund up to five (5) days in advance of your initially-scheduled course.
- We accept schedule modifications up to 48 hours in advance of your initially-scheduled course.